Friday, September 12, 2003

Moore, Alan; Kevin O'Neill et al. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol 1. La Jolla, CA: America's Best Comics, 2000.

It's always interesting to read something that's recieved such over the top hype. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big, if lapsed comics fan. I'm also an admirer of Alan Moore's work in many different series over the years. I read Swamp Thing back in the day. But I just can't get over the fact that this has been done better by Kim Newman in his Anno Dracula series. More precisely, more imaginatively, with greater wit and humour. The idea that you can take historical and fictional characters and mix them up in an alternate history story really belongs to Newman and for Moore's take on the genre to impress me he would really have to add something to what Newman's done. He hasn't. I also find O'Neill's art unnecessarily muddy and indistinct. So shoot me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home