Monday, January 02, 2006

Farmer, Philip Jose. To You Scattered Bodies Go. New York: Berkley Medallion, 1971. 222pp.

Every one has blind spots and holes in their reading histories, classics missed or ignored or just despised. There've been lots of classics I've ignored (Book of the New Sun) or despised (ok, maybe not despised, but disapointed) over the years. However, I do make it a point to try and catch up on the ones I've just missed. Sometimes I'm disappointed, especially if it's reaching fairly far back in history. Often the literary style of a bygone era just doesn't click. Sometimes, however, I'm really pleased to discover a gem. Such is the case with the first book in Philip Jose Farmer's Riverworld series. The premise is well known -- characters are reincarnated along the shores of a vast river along with everyone who has ever lived on earth. The first volume in the series follows the adventures of Sir Richard Burton with later volumes apparently following other characters. I'm definately going to track down the rest of the volumes in the series. Lost classic I would recommend to one and all? Try Davy or A Mirror for Observers by Edgar Pangborn, both available from Old Earth Books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home