Thursday, August 31, 2006

The Hugos

A couple of comments on the recently awarded Hugos:
  • David G. Hartwell for Professional Editor. A long-overdue win for one of the nicest guys in the SF world. More importantly, one of the most deserving. His work at Tor, the various anthologies and the New York Review of Science Fiction are certainly long overdue for recognition. I must have read over a dozen of David's anthologies and who-knows-how-many of the novels he's edited and his taste and knowledge of the field are phenomenal. Congrats, David!
  • Robert Charles Wilson for Best Novel, Spin. Robert Charles Wilson is one of the great underappreciated authors in the field. I've read half a dozen of his novels and they've all been terrific (well, maybe Darwinia got a little too weird at the end there...). I guess we'll have to stop thinking of him as underappreciated now! I've met Bob a couple of times at Rob Sawyer's parties and he's a nice guy too. It seems that he also used to live on the same street as I do now! And, I guess Spin has just jumped to the top of my to-read list.
  • Having just read and enjoyed Old Man's War tremendously, I guess I'm also thrilled that John Scalzi won the John W. Campbell Award for best new author.

There's been lots of coverage of the Worldcon and the Hugos. SF Signal has collected a lot of the posts here, here, here, here, here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home