Friday, March 02, 2007

What I Read: 1983

What do you care what I read in 1983? Nothing, of course, but I do. As I get older (I was 20 when I started this list) I find myself more and more in the position of looking at a stack of books on my shelves by, say, Cornell Woolrich and they all have the word "Black" in the title. I know I've read a couple but I can't remember which ones. Fortunately, I've been maintaining a little list in a little brown book since April 1983 of all the books I've read (or at least attempted). By putting this list here it will be searchable. I may ultimately put at least some of it in something like LibraryThing, but for now I'll be putting it here. The advantage is that the blog is quick and dirty, without a lot of effort per entry. The books are in the order I read them.

By way of adding some value to the list, I'll italicize any work that I remember as being particularly wonderful

  1. Cities in flight by James Blish
  2. Lord Foul's bane by Stephen R. Donaldson
  3. The eyes of Heisenberg by Frank Herbert
  4. The gray prince by Jack Vance
  5. Island by Aldous Huxley
  6. The illearth war by Stephen R. Donaldson
  7. Tree and leaf by J.R.R. Tolkein
  8. Nerves by Lester del Rey
  9. The weird of the white wolf by Michael Moorcock
  10. Approaching oblivion by Harlan Ellison
  11. Norstilia by Cordwainer Smith
  12. The currents of space by Isaac Asimov
  13. The persistence of vision by John Varley
  14. The power that preserves by Stephen R. Donaldson
  15. Flesh/Lord Tyger by Philip Jose Farmer
  16. Thuvia, maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  17. The synthetic man by Theodore Sturgeon
  18. Flow my tear, the policeman said by Philip K. Dick
  19. When worlds collide by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer
  20. The well of the unicorn by Fletcher Pratt
  21. The science fiction hall of fame, volume 1 edited by Robert Silverberg
  22. The way the future was by Frederik Pohl
  23. In a lonely place by Karl Edward Wagner
  24. The swords of Lankhmar by Fritz Leiber
  25. The book of skulls by Robert Silverberg
  26. Away and beyond by A.E. van Vogt
  27. Web by John Wyndham
  28. Erewhon by Samuel Butler
  29. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
  30. The evil that men do/The purloined planet by Lin Carter
  31. Time and stars by Poul Anderson
  32. The syndic by C.M. Kornbluth
  33. The singing citadel by Michael Moorcock
  34. Asimov on science fiction by Isaac Asimov
  35. Golem 100 by Alfred Bester
  36. The new Adam by Stanley G. Weinbaum
  37. After worlds collide by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer
  38. Again, dangerous visions edited by Harlan Ellison
  39. Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
  40. The humanoids by Jack Williamson
  41. The space tug by Murray Leinster
  42. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
  43. Foundation and empire by Isaac Asimov

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home