Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Moore, Alan & Kevin O'Neil. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2. New York: DC Comics, 2004. 228pp.

I read the first volume quite some time ago and was not that impressed. The movie comes out, finally get around to watching it on DVD -- not the best flick ever but not as bad as most of the reviews led me to believe. So, the second graphic novel comes out, still the same great reviews as the first volume. Do I gave it a try or a pass? I guess my faith in Alan Moore's basic talent won out. I give it a try. And, I have to say, I really liked this one. The first seemed to spend all it's time setting up the plot and introducing the characters and very little on the actual story. This one, the story is front and centre from the beginning. And I think I liked the plot here more as well. Basically, it's Moore's take on Wells' War of the Worlds with a little John Carter and Dr. Moreau thrown in for good measure. The story was involving and interesting, with a few good twists and turns. Moore doesn't neglect character development either, with a good mix of insight and surprise. O'Neil's art still isn't my favourite, but I didn't notice it as much this time around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home