Friday, March 02, 2007

What I read: 1984

What do you care what I read in 1984? Nothing, of course, but I do. As I get older (I was 20 in 1983 when I started keeping track of the books I read) I find myself more and more in the position of looking at a stack of books on my shelves by, say, Cornell Woolrich and they all have the word "Black" in the title. I know I've read a couple but I can't remember which ones. Fortunately, I've been maintaining a little list in a little brown book since April 1983 of all the books I've read (or at least attempted). By putting this list here it will be searchable. I may ultimately put at least some of it in something like LibraryThing, but for now I'll be putting it here. The advantage is that the blog is quick and dirty, without a lot of effort per entry. The books are in the order I read them.

By way of adding some value to the list, I'll italicize any work that I remember as being particularly wonderful
  1. Moon of skulls by Robert E. Howard
  2. Second foundation by Isaac Asimov
  3. A tale of two cities by Charles Dickens
  4. The white plague by Frank Herbert
  5. Good Neighbors and other strangers by Edgar Pangborn
  6. Partners in wonder by Harlan Ellison and others
  7. Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
  8. Bypass to otherness by Henry Kuttner
  9. Martian timeslip by Philip K. Dick
  10. Podkayne of Mars by Robert A. Heinlein
  11. Lest darkness fall by L. Sprague de Camp
  12. Conjure wife by Fritz Leiber
  13. The starchild trilogy by Frederik Pohl and Jack Williamson
  14. The best of Stanley G. Weinbaum by Stanley G. Weinbaum
  15. Dream makers by Charles Platt
  16. Project Pope by Clifford D. Simak
  17. Federation by H. Beam Piper
  18. Thirteen o'clock by C.M. Kornbluth
  19. Courtship rite by Donald Kingsbury
  20. 2001: A space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
  21. Tarnsman of Gor by John Norman
  22. the space beyond by John W. Campbell, jr.
  23. The stars my destination by Alfred Bester
  24. The best of Lester del Rey by Lester del Rey, edited by Frederik Pohl
  25. Universe 3 edited by Terry Carr
  26. The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams
  27. The restaurant at the end of the universe by Douglas Adams
  28. Life, the universe and everything by Douglas Adams
  29. Nightwings by Robert Silverberg
  30. Shatterday by Harlan Ellison
  31. Neutron star by Larry Niven
  32. The chessmen of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  33. The iron man by Robert E. Howard
  34. The compleat enchanter by L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt
  35. The best of Edmond Hamilton by Edmond Hamilton
  36. The golden man by Philip K. Dick
  37. The Lazarus effect by Frank Herbert and Bill Ranson
  38. The science fiction hall of fame, volume 2A edited by Ben Bova
  39. The player on the other side by Ellery Queen (Theodore Sturgeon)
  40. Nightfall and other stories by Isaac Asimov
  41. At the mountains of madness by H.P. Lovecraft
  42. 100 sf short short stories edited by Isaac Asimov and others
  43. Outlaw of Gor by John Norman
  44. The year of the quiet sun by Wilson Tucker
  45. The worlds of Fritz Leiber by Fritz Leiber
  46. Preferred Risk by Edson McCann (Frederik Pohl and Lester del Rey)
  47. The man in the jungle by Norman Spinrad
  48. The fountains of paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
  49. A dream of Dracula by Leonard Wolf
  50. Beyond by Theodore Sturgeon
  51. A canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, jr.
  52. The best of Eric Frank Russel by Eric Frank Russell
  53. Danse macabre by Stephen King

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home