Saturday, October 14, 2006

Unread books meme

Ok, another meme. This one via Andrew Wheeler.

Ten Books I Own and Want to Read But Haven't Gotten To Yet.

So, I own zillions of books that I haven't read yet. What's the use of owning zillions you have already read and will never read again? Therefore, most of my we're-running-out-of-space weeding efforts over the years have been focused on books I've already read. Here's a list of 10 books that I've got lying around the house and hope to read in the next 12 months. I'll do 5 fiction and 5 non-fiction, some I've had lying around a while and some that are fairly new.

  1. Anvil Chorus by Shane Stevens. Stevens wrote one of the seminal serial killer novels, By Reason of Insanity. This is one of his other novels and if it's as good as BRoI, I can't wait.
  2. Demons by John Shirley. I love a good horror novel and this one got great reviews when it came out.
  3. The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem. Another novel that got great reviews when it came out. I'm looking forward to this one in particular because of the comic book connection.
  4. Cool War by Frederik Pohl. Pohl has long been one of my favourite novelists, and this is one of the ones I've missed.
  5. Witness to Myself by Seymour Shubin. Hey, those Hard Case Crime books are always great...
  6. The Republican War on Science by Chris Mooney. A facinating and topical book, especially considering the new Conservative government in Canada.
  7. King of Infinite Space: Donald Coxeter, the Man Who Saved Geometry by Siobhan Roberts. Science biography is always one of my favourites and Coxeter has a lot of personal connections for me through my work and York U.
  8. Broca's Brain: Reflections on the Romance of Science by Carl Sagan. Cool stuff by the master of popular science.
  9. James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon by Julie Phillips. More biography, this time of noted sf author James Tiptree.
  10. The David Suzuki Reader: A Lifetime of Ideas from a Leading Activist and Thinker by David Suzuki. An essay collection as a follow up to his recent memoirs that I enjoyed so much. I also want to read The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature but I haven't bought it yet.


Two other books that I'll be reading soon that I didn't want to waste list space for are The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2006 by Brian Greene and Tim Folger and The Best American Science Writing 2006 by Atul Gawande. I never miss the volumes in there series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home