Sunday, March 04, 2007

What I read: 1985

What do you care what I read in 1985? Nothing, of course, but I do. As I get older (I was 20 in 1983 when I started keeping track of the books I read) I find myself more and more in the position of looking at a stack of books on my shelves by, say, Cornell Woolrich and they all have the word "Black" in the title. I know I've read a couple but I can't remember which ones. Fortunately, I've been maintaining a little list in a little brown book since April 1983 of all the books I've read (or at least attempted). By putting this list here it will be searchable. I may ultimately put at least some of it in something like LibraryThing, but for now I'll be putting it here. The advantage is that the blog is quick and dirty, without a lot of effort per entry. The books are in the order I read them.

By way of adding some value to the list, I'll italicize any work that I remember as being particularly wonderful

  1. The Maltese falcon by Dashiel Hammett
  2. Love ain't nothing but sex misspelled by Harlan Ellison
  3. The year's best fantasy stories: 10 by Arthur W. Saha
  4. Virgin planet by Poul Anderson
  5. The female man by Joanna Russ
  6. Mutant by Henry Kuttner
  7. The best of L. Sprague de Camp by L. Sprague de Camp
  8. The day of the triffids by John Wyndham
  9. The golden apples of the sun by Ray Bradbury
  10. The warlord of the air by Michael Moorcock
  11. The best of C.M. Kornbluth by C.M. Kornbluth
  12. Triton by Samuel R. Delany
  13. The worlds of Frank Herbert by Frank Herbert
  14. Bio of a space tyrant 1: Refugee by Piers Anthony
  15. The wanderer by Fritz Leiber
  16. The blue world by Jack Vance
  17. The man in the high castle by Philip K. Dick
  18. Heechee rendezvous by Frederik Pohl
  19. Killer by David Drake and Karl Edward Wagner
  20. Thorns by Robert Silverberg
  21. Conan the rebel by Poul Anderson
  22. The best of Cordwainer Smith by Cordwainer Smith
  23. Medea: Harlan`s world edited by Harlan Ellison
  24. 5 odd edited by Groff Conklin
  25. The haunting of hill house by Shirley Jackson
  26. The quintessence of Ellery Queen edited by Anthony Boucher
  27. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
  28. The warlock in spite of himself by Christopher Stasheff
  29. The drowned world by J.G. Ballard
  30. The shores of space by Richard Matheson
  31. Tolkein: a biography by Humphrey Carpenter
  32. Fevre dream by George R.R. Martin
  33. The best of Raymond Z. Gallun by Raymond Z. Gallun
  34. So long and thanks for all the fish by Douglas Adams
  35. Image of the beast by Philip Jose Farmer
  36. Strange eons by Robert Bloch
  37. Nine hundred grandmothers by R.A. Lafferty
  38. Love by Leo Buscaglia
  39. Davey by Edgar Pangborn

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home