Friday, March 23, 2007

What I read: 1990

What do you care what I read in 1990? Nothing, of course, but I do. As I get older (I was 20 in 1983 when I started keeping track of the books I read) I find myself more and more in the position of looking at a stack of books on my shelves by, say, Cornell Woolrich and they all have the word "Black" in the title. I know I've read a couple but I can't remember which ones. Fortunately, I've been maintaining a little list in a little brown book since April 1983 of all the books I've read (or at least attempted). By putting this list here it will be searchable. I may ultimately put at least some of it in something like LibraryThing, but for now I'll be putting it here. The advantage is that the blog is quick and dirty, without a lot of effort per entry. The books are in the order I read them.

By way of adding some value to the list, I'll italicize any work that I remember as being particularly wonderful.

  1. Ace Double: The color of neanderthal eyes by James Tiptree, Jr. // And strange at ecbatan the trees by Michael Bishop
  2. Black sun rising by Frederik Pohl
  3. Lincoln's dreams by Connie Willis
  4. Through darkest America by Neal Barrett, jr.
  5. The scream by John Skipp and Craig Spector
  6. Marching through Georgia by S.M. Stirling
  7. Demon lord of Karanda by David Eddings
  8. Playmates by Robert B. Parker
  9. Narabedla, Inc. by Frederik Pohl
  10. The colour of magic by Terry Prachett
  11. Only apparently real by Paul Williams
  12. Black dahlia by James Ellroy
  13. Wonder's child by Jack Williamson
  14. Callahan's secret by Spider Robinson
  15. When gravity fails by George Alec Effinger
  16. Blood of the impaler by Jeffrey Sackett
  17. Nighteyes by Garfield Reeves-Stevens
  18. The maker of Dune by Frank Herbert
  19. Islands in the net by Bruce Sterling
  20. Bio of an ogre by Piers Anthony
  21. Slaves of the volcano god by Craig Shaw Gardner
  22. Headhunter by Michael Slade
  23. Winter palace by Dennis Jones
  24. Strike zone by Peter David
  25. The wolf's hour by Robert R. McCammon
  26. Love and marriage by Bill Cosby
  27. Doctor's orders by Diane Duane
  28. Tau zero by Poul Anderson
  29. Metamorphosis by David Suzuki
  30. The skin trade edited by Douglas E. Winter
  31. The league of night and fog by David Morrell
  32. I hope I shall arrive soon by Philip K. Dick
  33. A is for alibi by Sue Grafton
  34. Peter Cushing: An autobiography by Peter Cushing
  35. Presumed innocent by Scott Turow
  36. Deserted cities of the heart by Lewis Shiner
  37. The exorcist by William Peter Blatty
  38. Lori by Robert Bloch
  39. Good times by Russell Baker
  40. Ace Double: Enemy mine by Barry B. Longyear // Another orphan by John Kessel
  41. A talent for war by Jack McDevitt
  42. The evolution man by Roy Lewis
  43. Ancient images by Ramsey Campbell
  44. Science fiction in the real world by Norman Spinrad
  45. Digging dinosaurs by Jack R. Horner
  46. Star Trek: The lost years by J.M. Dillard
  47. Nick and the Glimmung by Philip K. Dick
  48. The god box by Barry B. Longyear
  49. The silence of the lambs by Thomas Harris
  50. Becoming a technical leader by Gerald M. Weinberg
  51. Misery by Stephen King
  52. Star wreck by Leah Rewolinski
  53. Running wild by J.G. Ballard
  54. Sea of glass by Barry B. Longyear
  55. Dark dreamers by Stanley Wiater
  56. Red prophet by Orson Scott Card
  57. The chocolat war by Robert Cormier
  58. Managing programming people by Philip Metzger
  59. Escape from Kathmandu by Kim Stanley Robinson
  60. Sorceress of Darshiva by David Eddings
  61. The healer's war by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
  62. The right place at the right time by Robert MacNeil
  63. Sepulchre by James Herbert
  64. Bill: Planet of the robot slaves by Harry Harrison
  65. A hidden place by Robert Charles Wilson
  66. Book of the dead by John Skipp and Craig Spector

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home